Choosing the right roofing product for your low sloped roof may be difficult. Rubber is very efficient on flat up to a 3/12 pitch, while metal and shingles can be an effective option from a 3/12 pitch to anything steeper. Metal roofing systems are popular because of their longevity and durability. Rubber roofs are a top choice for flat or low pitched roofing as it adheres to the roofing materials below it and, when installed correctly, provides a watertight seal to the elements.Choosing the best low slope roof materials often comes down to weighing the pros and cons based on your home and your needs. First, let’s look at your needs to better understand what the right choice is for you.
How to Choose a Suitable Roofing Material for Low Slopes
Every home is unique and every homeowner’s situation is special, so there is no single answer when wondering how to choose a suitable roofing material. It depends on your lifestyle, your home, and your overall goals. Some of the top questions for you to consider include:
- What is my budget?
- How long do I plan to live in this home?
- When will I be able to afford a roof replacement?
- What is the weather like where I live?
- Do I have any color or style preferences?
Metal Roof Facts
- When installed on low slopes, low rib metal is recommended.
- Many come with a 30 to 50-year warranty and is a long term roofing product with little upkeep.
- Can reduce your need for air conditioning by up to 15%.
- May withstand high winds and is very resistant to fire.
- Different metals offer regional protections, such as aluminum protecting against salt water.
- Can mirror the traditional roofing shingle appearance in a variety of colors.
- Standing seam metal roofing has the potential for solar panel laminate upgrades.
- Is one of the more expensive options.
Rubber Roof Facts
- Rolled rubber options can significantly reduce the chance of leaking. Metal and shingles can allow water to backup behind their directional panels or strips.
- Rubber has a standard lifetime of approximately 20 years, given weather and exposure.
- Maintenance and repair are typically very easy and inexpensive.
- Provides significant protection against most elements.
Make the Right Choice with Help
J & B West Roofing and Construction has been providing homes in your area with roofs since 2007 and we have the expertise it takes to install and properly care for rubber and metal low slope roofs. Choosing between roofing materials is never easy, but we can help you identify what’s most important to you and what security your home needs, simplifying the decision. We specialize in providing roof services LaPorte, St. Joseph, Marshall, Starke & Porter Counties, so when you need a local roofing expert turn to J & B West Roofing and Construction.
TagsLow Slope Roofing Metal Roofs Roofing Materials Rubber Roofs Shingled Roofs The J&B West Way
Subscribe to J & B West Roofing and Construction's Blog